Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Beauty and the Beast - Life's 'lil Lessons

I received this from my sweet niece, Kelly Jarvis, and knew the lessons found within would be like valuable treasure to all who read on. Kelly is a missionary in Africa and is one of the most beautiful godly women I know.

"I was watching Beauty and the Beast tonight and in one of the songs they said something so profound I just had to share it with you all. It was the scene where Gaston learns that there is a beast and he wants to kill him and hang him on his wall. During the song they say, 'We don’t like what we don’t understand. In fact it scares us and this monster is mysterious at least.' These people didn’t understand anything about the beast. They saw the looks of him and were immediately scared by the appearance of him. Because they did not understand him, they didn’t like him and immediately grabbed up their pitch forks and guns to take down this beast. These people were missing out on the truth; this beast was kind and gentle (at this part in the story). This beast was special and Belle could see something in him that others could not, or perhaps were too afraid to see.

Many times in our lives God brings in a 'beast' for us to face. This beast could be in any form. For me right now, I’m facing the beast of change. There are so many changes that are going to be taking place in my life in the coming months it scares me. Am I going to fight the changes and the mysterious 'unknown' or am I going to allow God to work in my life as I experience these changes? Am I going to listen to my selfish desires and emotions and fight these changes or am I going to listen to God’s still quiet voice telling me that He will never leave me nor forsake me, and that He has plans to prosper and not to harm me? Am I going to get mad at the world because I’m not having my way or am I going to trust that all things work together for good to those that trust in the Lord?

Trust and faithfulness are two huge things God wants o develop in our lives. He does things in our lives that require us to trust Him even when we don’t agree or know what is going on. A beautiful Dutch missionary lady just died of cancer leaving behind two young children and a husband. The Lord said the harvest is great but the workers are few. So why would he allow this disease to take away one of His dedicated workers? She was a very intelligent linguist missionary who deeply loved the people she was working with. It doesn’t make sense to me, but I have to trust God. I choose to trust God because His plans are perfect. Life on Earth is not perfect, but God’s plans for our lives are perfect as long as we allow Him to work and not stubbornly cross our arms over our chest protesting against the God almighty telling Him he’s not doing it right! So I could throw a fit and grab my pitch fork in protest against the unknown, against the why's, but that wouldn’t do any good. All things work together for good…trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall make your paths straight.

So I learned, thanks to Beauty and the Beast, when a mysterious beast is staring you in the face, your reaction should not be to instantly want to battle it, but to try and understand it so that it won’t scare you anymore. We need not to look at the appearance of something, but at the heart. I should not miss out on opportunities because I am too busy fighting a mysterious “beast” instead of joining the Lord in battle for the hearts of His people. The Lord is doing mighty things all over the world and no matter what changes, no matter what “beasts” He brings my way, I pray that my heart, my thoughts and my actions will be to submit to and glorify Him!"

No comments:

Post a Comment